Protected Areas Finance Working Group
Working Group Chair, Charles Besancon, and members of the PA Finance WG have created a survey is designed to better understand the knowledge and capacity development needs of the broad conservation community with regards to protected area finance. The results will help to inform the work of the Conservation Finance Alliance Working Group on Protected Areas Finance, and through the CFA, it will be used to inform the wider community of protected area finance practitioners. The survey is available in English, Spanish, and French.
The PA Finance Working Group will advance global thinking and planning for sustainable financing of protected area systems, including the following broad activities:
· Help develop global guidance on key issues for PA financing systems
· Share information and best practices to support national level PA financing systems and projects
· Work with national governments to identify status of PA financing and initiate coordinated support program
· Prepare a global report on the status of PA Finance
· Prepare a Practice Standards document for PA Finance topics (Business Planning, Entrance and Activity Fees, etc.)
· Present results of the work at the Conferences of the Parties of the Convention on Biological Diversity
· Act as the PA Finance Working Group for the WCPA / IUCN
70 Members from 29 Countries
Chair: Charles Besancon
Charles Besançon is a conservation planner and policy specialist with over 20 years professional experience. As a trained planner for national parks and protected areas in the USA, he brought his field experience to global policy jobs with the United Nations, international organizations and national governments. He spent 6 years as the Head of the Protected Areas Programme at the UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre in Cambridge UK developing and aggregating global information on protected area systems and presenting this to global policy makers. He spent 4 years as a staff member of the Secretariat for the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) in Montreal Canada coordinating the LifeWeb Initiative that assisted developing countries in leveraging funds to build and strengthen protected area systems, help ecosystems adapt to climate change and manage invasive alien species, among other issues. He has extensive experience in project and programme development, proposal writing and fundraising. He has lived in the USA, South Africa, the United Kingdom and Canada and has worked and travelled in over 80 countries. Charles is currently working as a consultant from Missoula Montana, close to intact ecosystems and scenic beauty.
Interested in Joining the CFA Protected Areas Finance Working Group?
First, make sure you are registered as a CFA member.
Then, use the form below to contact Charles Besancon with your name and a short message about your interest in CFA Protected Areas Finance.